If you are still using store-bought lotion on yourself or your family, there are super easy natural alternatives that are fun to make! If you are one of those people who have allergies to certain chemicals, it can be challenging to find personal care products such as body lotion that can work well for you and not cause itching or rashes on your skin. It is fairly easy to create your own organic body lotion.
Here is a recipe for an organic, all-natural, non-toxic lotion and body butter that you’re sure to love! It’s easy to make and even give as a gift.
- 1 cup Shea Butter OR Cocoa Butter if you have a nut allergy
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Almond Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Beeswax
- Optional – 10 drops of our Organic Lavender Essential Oil or Gentle Baby blend (a blended oil of Geranium, Jasmine, Organic Ylang Ylang Oil, Rosewood, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Organic Lemon Oil, Palmarosa, and Coriander) or other essential oil of choice for fragrance and skin nourishment.
- In a double boiler, melt the shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, and beeswax together.
- Once it turns to a liquid, let it cool in the fridge for about an hour.
- Then, spoon into a mixer (like Kitchen aid, or use a hand mixer) and pour in the zinc oxide and vegetable glycerin.
- Whip for about 5 minutes to get it nice and fluffy, like whipped cream.
How to Store a Homemade Organic Lotion
- Storing a DIY body lotion is pretty simple. If you’ve used a preservative, it sits happily at ambient temperature.
- Try to keep it out of direct sunlight if you’re using a fully transparent jar or bottle.
- You can store it in the fridge if you like, which will extend the lifespan of your lotion.