Pumpkin seeds-also known as pepitas ---are flat, dark green seeds. Some are encased in yellow –white husk (often called the shell) although some varieties of pumpkin produce seeds without shell. Pumpkin seeds have a malleable , chewy texture and a subtly sweet , nutty flavor.
Pumpkin seeds are superfoods packed with nutrients and they make a filling addition to tons of vegetarian meals. Compared to other seeds and nuts, pumpkin seeds are relatively low in calories and fat.
Pumpkin Seeds are energy packed. These small seeds are high in calories (approximately 550 kcal in 100 grams). They are major source of proteins, fibre, niacin, iron, zinc, magnesium etc. Apart from that they are also good source of vitamin B5, B6, B9, potassium and sodium.
As a high fiber, low-fat snacks, you can feel good about eating pumpkin seeds regularly . And that’s easy to do, because their mild nuttiness complements both savory and sweet foods.
While roasted pumpkin seeds are probably best known for their role in perennial Halloween treat, these seeds are so delicious that they can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Pair them with other organic foods to keep your diet as healthy as it can be. Here are few ideas:
- Prepare Roasted pumpkins seeds.
- Add them to a bowl of curd or oats porridge and enjoy the healthy nutrition snacks.
- Top it up on your salad.
- Substitute pumpkin seeds for pine nuts in your favorite pesto recipe.
- Use them as a garnish to give soups and stews some crunch.
- Serve the seeds for dessert.
If you have some free time, check out this recipe to enjoy pumpkin seeds
Curried Pumpkin and Mushroom Risotto
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced (see Tips) or ⅔ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms (such as chanterelle, stemmed shiitake, cremini, and/or stemmed oyster), sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2¾ cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
- In a saucepan cook leeks in hot oil over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in curry powder.
- Add rice to mushroom mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Carefully add ½ cup of the hot broth. Cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add the remaining broth, ½ cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more.
- Stir in pumpkin. Cook and stir for 1 minute to heat through. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. If desired, garnish with parsley sprigs.
Buy Now: Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Pumpkin Seeds