The world is slowly waking up to a new superfood, one that’s native to India and that we have consumed for centuries. Moringa oleifera – better known as the drumstick tree and also known as the horseradish/ben tree – has been used in Ayurveda for years now.
Known popularly as a ‘miracle plant’, Moringa Oleifera has a plethora of hidden secrets that are still not explored. Moringa is one of those rare plants, whose all parts can be used in ways innumerable. Packed with a number of essential vitamins, proteins, and minerals, moringa powder offers a boost to your daily intake of nutrition, when added to your daily balanced diet.
Facts on Moringa
- The Moringa tree can be found in South America and Africa, though it is native to India.
- Moringa is known in different languages across the globe. The term ‘moringa’ is derived from the Tamil word ‘murungai’ and the Malayalam word ‘murinna’. In the Philippines, it is known as malunggay, whereas in Thailand it is known as Ma rum. It is known as Kachang Kelur in Malaysia and maroenga in Indonesia.
- Every part of the moringa tree, the leaves, the roots, and the seed, can be eaten.
- Moringa serves as a true natural binder.
- Rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, and E and essential minerals like potassium, selenium, iron, calcium, and magnesium, Moringa is known to be extremely nutritious.
- Moringa is known to offer more Vitamin C than oranges, more iron than spinach, more calcium than milk, and more potassium than bananas.
- The entire moringa tree consists of 9 essential & non-essential amino acids, 46 antioxidants, and 92 nutrients.
- Packed with Nutrients
- Rich in Amino Acids
Moringa leaves are rich in amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. 18 types of amino acids are found in them and each of them makes an important contribution to our wellbeing.
- Rich in Antioxidants
Moringa leaves have anti-oxidative properties and protect against the damaging effects of free radicals present in the environment. The damage caused by free radicals is responsible for many chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart problems, and Alzheimer’s.
Uses of Moringa Leaf Powder
Moringa leaves are used for medicinal purposes for centuries. However, the general public is getting aware of the benefits of moringa in recent times and has started incorporating the powder into their diet.
Since it is a new addition to our diet in an attempt to eat healthily, many of us may not know different kinds of ways to use moringa powder.
Hence, we have prepared a list for you which will make it much easier for you to plan your diet with moringa powder included in it. The powder has a mild earthy flavor to it and can be mixed with any sweet or savory recipes. Some of them are:
- Add the powder to your morning smoothies. It will blend well with milk, vegetables, and fruits.
- Mix it with your dinner soup. Your hot and delicious soup could use some extra nutrients and benefits. It works well with carrot or broccoli soup.
- Sprinkle it over your salads. Your salads would give you much more benefits if you add moringa powder to them. It can even enhance the taste of your salad.
- Stir it in your green tea to boost your antioxidant intake or add it with hot water and drink it in the mornings before eating anything to improve your digestion process.
- Add some dried Organic moringa leaf powder to your pizza, bread, or cookie dough, giving them a nutritious twist.
- Make a nutritious healthy pesto by blending pine nuts, basil, and some moringa leaf extract powder.
- Add the juice of the moringa plant roots to your milk to increase its nutritional properties.
- Fry some moringa seeds and snack on it, just like groundnuts.
- Apply a mix of moringa leaf and lemon juice to the face as a natural face pack.
- Steep a nutritive moringa tea bag into your everyday cup of morning tea.
Natural supplements that provide nutrients we don't get from our regular diet are becoming more important every day. Moringa powder is one such superfood that can help you take your nutrition intake to the next level. Health-conscious people who want a healthy lifestyle in long term have started to ingrain moringa powder in their diet. If you use Moringa in your diet, Share with us your recipe in the ‘Submit your Recipe’ section. We’d love to hear them.