From a Nutritionists Diary---Amazing Benefits of Haritaki or Kadukkai...
Botanical name: Terminalia chebula Retz. & Willd. (Combretaceae)
Sanskrit Name: Haritaki, Abhaya, Pathya
Vernacular Names: Chebulic myrobalan (English), Harda (Hindi), Analekai (Kannada), Kadukai (Malayalam), Kadukaai (Tamil), Kaduka (Telugu)
Part used: Fruit
Taste (Rasa): Astringent (Kashaya), sour (Amla), sweet (Madhura), pungent (Katu) and bitter (Tikta)
Property (Guna): Light (Laghu), dry (Ruksha)
Potency (Veerya): Sweet (Madhura)
Post digestive effect (Vipaka): Sweet (Madhura)
Actions (Karma): Alleviates vitiation of all 3 doshas (Tridosha hara)
Haritaki has been renowned for centuries in Ayurveda and Buddhism for its mystical properties...
These properties are now being revealed in full force by thousands of people in developing super powers: In Buddhism, the Medicine Buddha is an important source of healing and spiritual advancement. He is pictured in images holding Haritaki in both hands. He is said to have credited Haritaki as being the core of all herbal healing in the Buddhist tradition.
Haritaki or Terminalia chebula is a wonder drug, finding its place in a wide range of therapeutic usage in the Ayurveda system of medicine. It is a very large tree growing throughout the deciduous forests of India and Sri Lanka, growing up to 2000m. Haritaki is described as the ‘remover of diseases’. Hara is also the name of Lord Shiva, thus reflecting the sacred nature and exalted position of the plant. It literally means ‘green’. It is also ‘abhaya’ or ‘fearless’ of any disease. It is said to have originated when a drop of immortal nectar (amrita) fell from heaven to earth. It is considered to be the best herb for the digestive system and lungs.
People use haritaki to promote healing from a number of conditions ranging from sore throat to allergies, as well as to improve digestive issues such as constipation and indigestion. In ayurveda, haritaki is said to support the "vata" dosha.
The fruits of Haritaki are one of the main ingredients in many Ayurvedic formulations. Eg: The popular ‘Triphala’. Haritaki fruits are highly nutritious for human health as they contain various vitamins, minerals and proteins. They are an excellent source of vitamin C. These fruits are also rich in several minerals including selenium, potassium, manganese, iron and copper.
- The fruits are also proved to have strong antibacterial and cardiotonic properties. They prevent the growth of many harmful intestinal bacteria.
- These fruits are beneficial for the five senses as they improve their receiving powers.
- A half tsp. of fruit pulp powder when ingested every night followed by a little warm water is used for healing ulcers (of both mouth and stomach) and wounds.
- It is used as an eyewash, for relief from various eye-infections.
- Gargling with a decoction made from the fruits is very good for fighting oral ulcers and sore throat.
- Haritaki fruit, mixed with dry ginger powder and hot water, is used for treating hiccups.
- It is a good nervine. It is used in nervous weakness, nervous irritability. Its fruit pulp increases the oxygen levels of the blood, thereby promoting longevity of tissues.
- These fruits are used for fighting many digestive disorders such as flatulence, distention and parasitic infections.
- A paste of Haritaki and water is found to be anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- It reduces lipid deposits in the blood and liver. When consumed with honey, it helps reduce cholesterol.
- Its powder is a good astringent for loose gums, bleeding and ulceration in gums.
- Powdered Haritaki is used along with ghee and honey for curing anemia.
- It is good for chronic cough and sore throat.
- It is useful in skin disorders with discharges, like allergies.
- It is used to treat chronic fever.
- On long term use, it is helpful in gaining weight in the emaciated persons and in losing weight in obese persons.
- When taken with meals it sharpens the intellect, increases strength, stimulates the senses, expels the urine, stool and other waste materials from the body. It may saves the person from the vitiating effects of bodily humors.
- Haritaki reduces the ill effects of fat rich, creamy and oily food. Haritaki is the definite aid for persons who habitually overeat.
Haritaki is reputed for its alterative, adaptogenic and tonic effect when used throughout the year with different substances in different six seasons of the year. If we review all the herbal formulations in Ayurveda’s all classical texts, we will find haritaki to be one of the most frequently used ayurvedic herbs. In Ayurveda, haritaki is the best for purifying the channels of the body.
Buy Now : Naturevibe Organic Haritaki Powder.
We at Naturevibe Botanicals, aim to provide the highest quality of organic products worldwide, thereby encouraging people to choose a healthy, nutritious, chemical-free lifestyle. We offer a wide range of products which not only add flavor to your food, but also boast of tremendous medicinal properties which prevent and treat innumerable diseases.
Disclaimer: The contents of the blog are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.