- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Naturevibe Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Naturevibe Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 strip orange peel (removed with a peeler) or the zest of an orange (grated with a microplane)
- 6 cups cooked black beans (2.5 cups dried), see notes above, liquid reserved
- 1 quart water or chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- thinly sliced scallions
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add the oil and all but a couple of tablespoons of the diced red onion (for garnish). Add the salt, cumin seed, red pepper flakes, and immediately turn the heat to low. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes, checking and stirring periodically to ensure the onion isn’t browning.
- Add the garlic and orange peel or zest. Raise the heat to high and stir for half a minute more. Add the beans, the water, and enough reserved been cooking liquid to ensure the beans are submerged. Crumble in the oregano. Bring to a simmer. Adjust the heat to allow the soup to simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Taste. Add more salt, cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, and/or oregano to taste. If you prefer a thicker texture, purée some of the soup in a blender or food processor. Personally, I love the texture of the soup as it is.
- Serve with all the toppings: scallions, reserved onions, cilantro, sour cream, and fresh lime to taste.