Other: sugar beet
Beta vulgaris L.
Plant Family: Chenopodiaceae
Beetroot (Beta vulgaris) is a root vegetable also known as red beet, table beet, garden beet, or just beet. There are numerous types of beetroot, many of which are distinguished by their color — yellow, white, pink, or dark purple.South Africa's biggest and independent radio station listed three superfoods that are good for your brain. Among the list are Blueberries, Salmon and of course Beetroot.
The beetroot bulb is one root vegetable that’s not new on the block. Infact it has become one of the popular superfoods in the last decade or so. Whether you blend it into a bowl of soup, eat it raw, or drink it as a juice, it will be the healthiest choice you make. Highly nutritious and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, the beetroot gets its colour from the Betalain pigment, which has anti-inflammatory properties. This being just one of the health benefits of beet juice. Beetroot is root vegetables packed with antioxidants that help your body get rid of toxins in your blood. Beetroot are also useful for your brain-boosting blood flow. Clearly, an essential benefit for good mental health. In addition, beets help prevent the onset of dementia for the elderly. Beetroot also contains the nutrient choline, which helps with brain memory. Additionally, studies have shown that beetroot can also help fetal brain development for pregnant women.
- Beetroots and beetroot juice have been associated with numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow, lower blood pressure, and increased exercise performance.
- Beet juice benefits in lowering blood pressure as it contains nitrates which when mixed with blood convert to nitric acid. This in turn, is known to help widen and relax the blood vessels, therefore preventing hypertension and stabilizing blood pressure
- The red colour present in the beetroot contains iron that boosts the regeneration of red blood cells. The vitamins present in the vegetable promotes iron absorption as well.
- Numerous studies conducted, have proven that there is an increase in the oxygen intake by a whopping 16% in those who consume beetroot juice. This makes it an excellent drink for athletes in need of more endurance and stamina. The beet juice benefits athletes as it also contains carbohydrates that produce energy for prolonged sports activities.
- The Magnesium and Potassium present in Beetroot, helps the body detox and prevents bloating by flushing out excess water, in turn boosting metabolism and shedding excess weight.
- Another health benefit of beetroot juice is that it helps in lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke, as it is rich in Potassium, which relaxes the blood vessels and reduces blood pressure, thus maintaining a healthy heart.
- The antioxidant property of beet juice benefits the skin and can prevent it from being exposed to damage of the free radicals, hence preventing early ageing, pigmentation and wrinkles on the skin.
- Rich in iron, the beetroot helps in regeneration of blood cells. The presence of a flavonoid – betacyanin is also known to stall the growth of tumours in the body. Though there is no real proof of the juice mixture being able to cure cancer, numerous studies show that it has been able to slow down the growth of cancerous cells. Go ahead, drink a glass every day and be at the pink of your health!
- Many of these benefits are due to their high content of inorganic nitrates.
Some beauty benefits:
- It repairs acne and pimples-prone skin: Beetroot is loaded with skin enhancing nutrients. The root vegetable is especially great for people with oily, acne and pimple-prone skin. Since beetroots are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, a single glass of beetroot juice a day can prevent the popping up of acne and pimples. If you do not like the taste of beetroots, you can simply apply 2 tablespoons of beetroot juice with 1 tablespoon of curd on the acne or even old acne scars, causing the scars to dry up.
- It makes your skin glow: Excessive pollution is a reality of our times, which makes our skin age earlier than usual. Beetroot juice is regarded as the best juice for glowing skin because it can give you healthy, glowing skin thanks to the presence of iron, vitamins and minerals. Also, drinking beetroot juice every day, flushes out toxins from the body, thus making you and your skin healthy, in and out. As blood is purified by the intake of beetroots, you get rosy-pink, glowing skin.
- It helps remove sun tan: Beetroot juice also helps repair damages caused to the skin due to excess sun exposure. It can help lighten the skin and get rid of sun tan marks. Using beetroot pulp on the face, arms and legs or simply drinking the juice regularly proves to be more beneficial than using any chemically induced cosmetic products to get flawless, glowing skin. Using a beetroot mask is like using a natural sunscreen as tans caused due to excessive exposure in the sun can be removed naturally.
- It removes dark circles: Another by-product of the stressful times we live in is the accumulation of dark circles under our eyes. Dark circles can be caused due to work stress, insufficient sleep, and erratic sleep patterns and so on. While it is important to get a good night’s sleep to reduce dark circles, you can also reap benefits of beetroot juice for skin. Applying beetroot juice regularly can reduce dark circles and makes your eye look less puffy. The soothing agents present in this root vegetable can offer a lot of relief to tired skin.
- Additional benefits: Apart from these skin miracles, beetroot juice is regarded as the best juice for skin because it reduces blemishes and dark spots, moisturises dry skin, removes dark lines from the neck area, makes your lips naturally soft and rosy and also prevents premature aging and wrinkles.
Beetroots are a great source of many essential vitamins and minerals:
- Folate (vitamin B9): One of the B vitamins, folate is important for normal tissue growth and cell function. It’s particularly necessary for pregnant women .
- Manganese: An essential trace element, manganese is found in high amounts in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
- Potassium: A diet high in potassium can lead to reduced blood pressure levels and positive effects on heart health.
- Iron: An essential mineral, iron has many important functions in your body. It’s necessary for the transport of oxygen in red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: This well-known vitamin is an antioxidant that is important for immune function and skin health.
The Bottom Line:
Beetroots are a good source of nutrients, fiber, and many plant compounds.
Their health benefits include improved heart health and enhanced exercise capacity, both of which are attributed to their inorganic nitrate content.
Beetroots are delicious raw but more frequently cooked or pickled. Their leaves — known as beet greens — can also be eaten. Beets are sweet and especially delicious when mixed in salads.
Easy to prepare, they can be eaten raw, boiled, or baked.
The miracle drink – a mix of carrots, apples, beetroot and small portions of ginger, helps in making the body more alkaline, hence detoxifying the body. This drink makes for an excellent juice cleanse.
Buy Now : Naturevibe Beetroot Powder
We at Naturevibe Botanicals, aim to provide the highest quality of organic products worldwide, thereby encouraging people to choose a healthy, nutritious, chemical-free lifestyle. We offer a wide range of products which not only add flavor to your food, but also boast of tremendous medicinal properties which prevent and treat innumerable diseases.
Disclaimer: The contents of the blog are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.